Monday, October 24, 2005

Rebellion Grows

HERALD
Drivers fight parking fines
20 October 2005
EDITORIAL - herald.news@archant.co.uk
BULLY boy tactics used by a parking company on two drivers "will not be tolerated and fought to the end".

That's according to Gill Knight, of Old Road, Old Harlow, and Jim Linsell, of Matching Tye, who parked on Garden Terrace Road in Old Harlow, and received fines in the post of up to £300 from UK Parking Control Ltd.

The company has since issued the pair with bailiff letters and court orders, and increased their fines by hundreds of pounds - and yet the road in question had no signs to say that they were not allowed to park there.

"I have parked on this road to pop into the shops since I passed my test about eight years ago," said Mrs Knight, who has two children. "I have never been given a fine before and would not park somewhere that I was not allowed to do so.

"I am shocked at the treatment I have received from this company. They haven't listened to a word I have said about the lack of signs along this road."

UK Parking Control Ltd issues tickets through the post, opting out of informing the driver that they are parking 'illegally' by not putting a note onto the car. Drivers have subsequently continued to park along the road unaware that what they are doing could incur a fine.

"I parked on the road three times in a week, but did not find out that I had received a parking fine until 12 days later. The last one didn't come through until 22 days later," said Mrs Knight. "It is just a disgrace. All they are trying to do is make money by whatever means it takes."

On one occasion I even saw the man with his camera just sitting in a car.

"I didn't think it had anything to do with me because I thought that he would have told me if it did."

When I received the court order I spoke to my solicitors, and they said UK Parking Control were just trying to put the frighteners on me."

Pensioner Jim Linsell, 76, said he was initially scared by the fine and subsequent bailiff letters when he decided to contest the ticket.

"My fine said that I was parked on 1 to 17 High Street, Old Harlow. At first I was terrified, but then when I went back down to have a look at the street I found out that I was parked at number 21, as I was behind the Somerfield supermarket. I wasn't even on UK Parking Control land!

"They are using bully boy tactics just to get their money, and they don't care who they upset or who they fine."

A spokesman for Harlow Council said: "This company has nothing to do with Harlow Council parking operations. In areas where parking controls are in place there should be signs displaying the fact that such controls are in operation."

A spokesman for UK Parking Control Ltd refused to comment.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I spoke with Mrs. Knight about this and fully intend to look into the matter. It appears that they hide until the parson has parked a car then jump out of nowhere and hang up a sign and take photo. As I understand if there is no sign identifying the land as private then they cannot do what that are trying. I agree they are out to scare members of the public into paying an illegal fine. There is a bill comming into force that will outlaw this this illegal practice.

Anonymous said...

I too have suffered at the hands of UK Parking Control Ltd but will ensure that they take me t Court and then we shall see what happens !! Any further incidents by other people experiencing similar PCN's from UK P C will be useful inputting astop to this practise as they can be used in Court

Anonymous said...

I am in a similar position. I stopped in a space I've been using for over 5 years, the signs were inaccessible, the fine disproportionate (I stopped for less than a minute to actually READ the sign and check the regulation with a local shop) and as a result I am taking this company to court. It is a huge risk - I simply can't afford to pay costs if I lose as I am a full-time law student. But I am so angered by this arrogant company that I feel I must take this course of action to prevent the misfortune happening to others who are in an even worse financial situation than me. I would really, really appreciate hearing from anyone who is in the same situation as me. There's strength in numbers, as they say.
Tel: 07811 325 101
helencooper1980@aol.com

Anonymous said...

I've recently become a victim of this company, on my wedding day! Has anyone won a case against them yet or should I just pay up and put an end to the worry?

Anonymous said...

The roads of the "posh" development Kew Riverside have now been designated a "private car park" run by UKPC Ltd. Fines for stopping are £170. Although 49 signs have been put up in the private part of the development only one is up– beyond where you pull up– in the housing association bit.

The sign is a catch all "no stopping, no delivering, no stopping with engine running". I really object to the DVLA handing out my name and address to these bullies.

Anonymous said...

B&Q have been hit by complaints from "Customers". I had visited their store twice in one day and received a ticket for "being parked for more than 2 hours". Looks like your only now allowed to shop once at the store? The tanoy announces extra % on paint but not the fact that the rules have just come in. Apparently there is photo evidence too. My question is; who sat there and video's a car parked for 2 hours as 2 pictures do not cover the period in between. Note the requirement to pay within 28 days as the date of notice does not include the year. I might get round to paying it 28 days after 2099 then if i'm still around. Hope they dont chase me 6ft under for any fine. Do they turn off the auto payment phone number too so that you cant pay on time? Fell sorry for anyone that gets caught up in this trap.

Anonymous said...

Hi walked into a store that had their own designated parking spaces. Had a walk around inside the store and did not buy anything. I got into my car and left the store. Only to find 12 days later I got a fine in the mail from UK Parking Control Limited saying that I illegally parked there. When I went into the store the chap said to me I remember you parking your car here but do not recall you coming into the store. Though he was the chap that I spoke to when I was looking for specific information on the goods that they sold.

I have now received a letter threatening to take me to court.

Grateful to hear a reply from someone who has been harrased in such a gruesome manner.

Anonymous said...

I'm in the same situation as the person above. Visited a store, parked outside it. Was there for five minutes, then a month later out of the blue get slapped with a fine.

Why did they leave it so long to send a fine? UKPC are a business and they want to make profit at all costs, no matter how ridiculous or Draconian the measures.

Consumers need to fight back. Maybe create a website against this scam. Or get a consumer group to fight our corner. Or even get the television programme Watchdog out there.

There must be thousands of cases like this. I'm sure lots of people just pay the fines, however for people who can't afford it and find it a large sum, it's terrible.

Did people go to court? How did it go?

We must fight back.

Anonymous said...

I have just got home to find an amusing Parking charge notice for £95 as I overstayed my welcome in a McDonalds car park. I should have ordered and eaten and left the premises within the hour but I was an hour and a half. I am soo frustrated that UK PARKING CONTROL Limited can do this, the sign is not clearly visable. I dont think anyone is that stupid to overstay by half an hour in McDonalds if they knew they would be hit with a £95 car parking charge, its ridiculous. I wouldnt mind but I only spent £3.99! That meal just cost me on £100 now.

Can anyone confirm if they have taken action against this company and advise me of the outcome. I am worried to take them to Court as I have read a lot of peoples comments advising that their fine rised to thousands of pounds. I just do not think £95 is acceptable, the local council only charge £30!
Please send me an email if you have had dealing with this company and any advice which may help. Thanks guys !

Sue

Anonymous said...

Awwww, Poor McDonalds !!!! Doesn't anyone have any sympathy for them ?, they are that broke that they situate their premises so very close to public attractions that when their sales are down they can EXPLOIT other methods of income to suppliment their turnover through gaining commission off Parking Fines !!
Yep, I am a V I C T I M also, fell for it hook, line and sinker !
Went to see Harry Potter at local cinema. Cinema car park was full due to the new release of the film, not realising, i went into the nearest parking area, bought a burger, thinking it was ok after 6.00pm . Even asked a member of staff at McDonalds whether it was all right to park while i went and watched film and was told "Yeah, No Problem". Never noticed the signage due to it being 9.00pm and dark. At least half a dozen other motorists also did what i did. (I wondered why the McDonalds staff were smiling). What an absolute CON ! They should be ashamed of themselves.
Well, UK Parking Control Ltd seem to make great emphasis of their reading of the letter of the law, according to their own site, however, its a damn shame that they do not practise by the same token. Their command of the English language written on their notice boards as their Conditions and re-itterated on their notifications leaves a lot to be desired. I DID NOT AGREE to anything. I DID NOT enter into a Contract. I asked permission to park and was given it !!!!
In fact, the only person/people who have acted illegally is UK Parking Control Ltd, by fraudulently applying for my personal details off the DVLA for the purposes of unlawful gain !
Guess what,... I SHALL NOT BE PAYING THEIR SO CALLED FINE !!!

Blog Archive


only search Neil Herron Blog