A response to Mr. 'Double-Speak' who calls the unelected North East Assembly the 'indirectly-elected' assembly.
The members are appointed Mr. FW.
8th July 2005
CHRIS Foote-Wood's letter (HAS, July 6) is the most astonishing piece of blind misrepresentation imaginable.Mr Foote-Wood and his colleagues on the North East Regional Assembly simply do not understand what a 78 per cent No to regional government really means.No matter how well intentioned he and his colleagues are regarding the welfare of the North-East, the electorate do not want local politicians elevated beyond the role to which they were elected within their local authority.As a director of the North East No Campaign, I heard this over and over again at more than 50 meetings throughout the region.There is more than enough elected representation, Parliamentary and otherwise, to promote the needs of the North-East. The regional assemblies installed in all UK regions were simply established for political reasons. After the November vote they have no legitimate right to exist. Can Mr Foote-Wood and his friends not grasp this fact?The inescapable fact is that the assembly is a talking shop with a minority of the members doing the talking, and all at the expense of the taxpayers of the North-East's 25 councils. - Colin Moran, former director North East No Campaign), Sunderland.
Tuesday, July 12, 2005
- ► 2011 (51)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (115)
- ► 2008 (179)
- ► 2007 (210)
- ► 2006 (392)
- Pro forma Assembly Complaint...North West Councils...
- European Constitution...We did tell you!
- Many joining the fight to kick Ass
- Police may have to clean up Prescott's Ass'
- Spotlight of Scrutiny to shine on 'Double- Speak' ...
- The Identity Project
- What Part of No don't you understand Deputy Pie Mi...
- Complaint to Your Council (NE only): Unlawful acti...
- The Truth? Bend it like Foote-Wood
- Academics Call for Quality, not Quantity, in Parki...
- Assembly considers name change
- British Presidency of EU Begins...so does the Prop...
- EU boons list nets own goal
- Anger at company move by assembly
- ▼ July (14)