Friday, July 30, 2004

Sir Tom Cowie...the Sunderland Counterbalance to Sir John Hall

Why the answer is 'no' to regional government
Sir Tom Cowie, businessman, is a supporter of the 'No' campaign group. " I do believe in the idea of a region - I will always look to the North - but I cannot agree with the idea of a regional government for the North-East.

We are already over-governed and there is enough rubbish coming out of Brussels without someone adding yet another layer of government.

From a businessman's point of view, I feel that there are already enough rules and regulations and that a regional government could only add to that. It is a view which I have held for 25 to 30 years but I believe it is all-embracing and is as true for the general public as it is for people who are in business.

My view, and those who I have spoken to and who agree with me, is that rule by central government is adequate and that a regional government would be a further intrusion into our lives.

I have lent my name to the No group because our worry is that a regional government would have no power, no more money and would add to the tax burden, which is already high enough.
A regional government would be yet another quango and we already have enough quangos in the North-East without adding to them. It would be pointless.

I also feel that the North-East has been doing well enough as it is.

The economy is performing well and has done so without the help of a regional government, so I cannot see a good reason in voting to introduce one.

People I have spoken to have come to the same conclusion that this would simply be another totally unnecessary layer of government.

However, I think it is probably too close to call which way the referendum will go.
It all depends whether or not the "man in the street" has grasped the arguments and feels that regional government would improve things.

Which way the vote goes is anyone's guess but I am sure that you will not see a 90 per cent vote in favour of a regional government. "


No comments:

Blog Archive


only search Neil Herron Blog