Monday, December 24, 2007

Back in Action ... thanks to the NHS

Too much football when I was young. Too many injuries. Insufficient time to allow healing. Exercising 'inappropriately' all ensured that something at some point had to give. When you are young you think you are indestructible.

When you get over the hill a touch you have to have a realignment of that thought process.

Last time it was the attempt at the Coast to Coast bike ride which lasted precisely 13 miles before I hit the reality check ... 'you gettin' on a bit Herron' after misreading a steep bank and ended up breaking my fall with my face on tarmac after cascading over the handlebars at what seemed like 50mph (probably more like 15!)

This time it was the ankles ... left first and then the right.
Out for a run the collapse into a heap gave the game away that I didn't have any working ligaments. Over a year later it hadn't really recovered so I went for x-rays.
The x-rays showed the problem ... broken bone and no ligaments to speak of, and credit where credit is due the NHS then took over and I was sorted within months.
Admitted on Thursday ... ligaments reconstructed and broken bone removed and discharged Friday. I have nothing but praise for all the staff especially the surgeon but he did say that my footballing days were over! As soon as I can walk they will do the other one.

Not wanting to appear useless I went for a paper on the way home ... and if someone had had a video camera then it would be worth £250 on You've Been Framed. I went into the shop and crutch one hit the wet patch on the tiled floor and what followed probably looked like a cross between Bambi on ice and a Preying Mantis on acid.

So, confined to barracks for two weeks for R and R ... but a Merry Christmas to all on Ward 44 at the Sunderland Royal and thanks to all the operating staff and the surgeon.

Meanwhile, some interesting developments in a number of areas including restitution, refunds and McDonalds. Seems like some motorists will have a leg to stand on!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wish you a speedy recovery.

Regard

Anonymous said...

Lucky you got it done now.

Give it a couple of years & it will be:- "So you don't drink & don't smoke.... Oh dear! BUT!!! Ha Ha!!! It was an old sports injury & therefore self inflicted & those are not treated... I mean don't respond to treatment, on the NHS etc.

David.

Blog Archive


only search Neil Herron Blog