Janet and her twin sister Pat had had a holiday booked to New York before the case was listed for trial. The two East End market traders had decided on the break to help relax after a stressful few months of Pat fighting a serious illness.
Then, when they were at the solicitors giving a statement in advance of the Court case being brought by Hackney Council Janet mentioned the trip, and was told that there may be a problem because if she was convicted and received a criminal record then she would not be allowed into the States.
This created a great deal of stress especially as the tickets had already been paid for. With the case listed for March 7th and the holiday booked for April there may still be a problem which will depend on when the case is listed for trial.
We intend therefore to issue a plea to the Mayor of New York ... Michael Bloomberg.
Janet Devers is facing criminal charges of selling produce in imperial measures which the London Borough of Hackney Council consider a criminal act.
The European Commission recently conceded that imperial scales which were in use before the year 2000 are lawful. They also bowed to pressure from the US to allow the continued use of imperial measures because of the threat to transatlantic trade after 2009.
"We invite the Mayor of New York to extend a hand of friendship to the two 63 year old East End market traders, whose mother started the business on a bomb site in the Blitz, when they arrive in New York and treat them as heroes in your great city and not potential criminals."
Cassell Bryan-Low's report made the front page of the Wall Street Journal and I am sure that Janet and Pat will be in great demand when they arrive in New York.
- ► 2011 (51)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (115)
- DVLA passes drivers details ... to anyone. Now hol...
- Hairdresser accused of attacking NCP Services Park...
- Come on Westminster ... take me on
- Metric Martyrs Plea to the Mayor of New York
- Metric Martyr opts for Trial by Jury
- Home Secretary Jacqui Smith says it's not safe to ...
- Metric Martyr Widow hands over Royal Pardon Petiti...
- The New Metric Martyr
- For the avoidance of doubt ... here is the letter ...
- New Metric Martyr Faces 13 Charges
- New Metric Martyr Case in Hackney could lead to Me...
- A New Metric Martyr about to hit the headlines
- Finally back after the Christmas Break ...
- ▼ January (13)
- ► 2007 (210)
- ► 2006 (392)
- ► 2005 (445)