Monday, September 20, 2004

'Foot in Mouth' Epidemic Spreads

Did No-one Tell the Tories?

The call to our office went like this;

"Hello, North East No Campaign."

"Is that the No Campaign?"

"Yes"

"Hi, its Cameron Watt from Iain Duncan Smith's office."

"Hi Cameron," I said. "It's Neil Herron. I have just received your e-mail about the visit to the North East of Iain Duncan Smith and his wife Betsy on Monday. I also see that Shadow Regions Minister, Bernard Jenkin is accompanying him too."

"Yes. That's what I wanted to talk to you about. We were hoping you could help us with the press and media in the North East. We know that you have a good relationship with them."

"Yees."

"Well, we were hoping that the No Campaign could get us some coverage."

"Cameron. This is the No Campaign...the People's No Campaign. I think you should be speaking to the Conservative NESNO group in Durham."

"Who are they. I haven't heard of them."

"Cameron. They are the group with your North East Conservative spokesman, Graham Robb, as their spokesman. They are the organisation that the Electoral Commission designated as the official 'No' campaign. I suggest you give Iain and Bernard an urgent call and ask them to ring me straight away before they dig an even bigger hole for themselves."

That was Friday. I am still waiting for a call. The Tories are in the region today and I wonder if the press even know they are here. I wonder if NESNO eventually found out that the man who helped set their campaign up was in the region?

Trouble is, even typing NESNO into any search engine brings you to us...the North East No Campaign. Poor Cameron. He must have had a bad weekend. No-one can find NESNO's phone number.

I am fully expecting the Tories to turn up at the office in Sunderland today to ask where the North East is.
Neil H

No comments:

Blog Archive


only search Neil Herron Blog