13th December 05
Rochdale MP Paul Rowen is demanding that Rochdale Council look into their policy of issuing parking tickets to disabled people who park in loading bays. Paul said, "I am concerned that Rochdale Council may be not acting legally by issuing tickets in this way. I have received information that there is NO LEGISLATION that allows Parking Attendants to give tickets to disabled badge holders who have parked in loading bays, whilst correctly displaying their badges. The only people who can move them are the police, but only if they are causing an obstruction."
This issue has arisen from the Council's controversial policy to change disabled parking bays on Yorkshire Street into loading bays.
Paul has submitted two questions to the Department of Transport;
To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what powers parking attendants have to issue Penalty Charge Notices to Disabled Person's Badge holders who have parked in Loading Bays?
To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what advice he has issued to local authorities regarding Disabled Person's Badge holders parking in Loading Bays?
Paul expects these questions to be answered on Thursday. He said, "I have also written to Roger Ellis, the Chief Executive of Rochdale Council asking him to investigate this as a matter of urgency. If I am proved correct it is simply unacceptable and the Council should look at refunding all the tickets that they have illegally issued."
Thursday, December 15, 2005
- ► 2011 (51)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (115)
- ► 2008 (179)
- ► 2007 (210)
- ► 2006 (392)
- Parliamentary questions for Chris Mullin
- EU Flag
- Size matters when it's a pizza history
- NCP Drive businesses out of town
- Watson v City of Sunderland
- Row escalating as European flag flies again
- The 'metric martyr' a 'figure of dread'??
- Council staff shortages inquiry call
- St George to stay in pole position
- Rochdale MP calls into question disabled parking t...
- Review of parking charges welcomed
- Fears over 'backdoor' regional assembly
- Press Release:Flag Victory as Council concedes def...
- Is there a future for Regional Government?
- Adjudicators decision in RE58...The Rochdale case
- Latest from European Movement on the EU Flag issue...
- Parking gaffe may cost council dear
- The £10m Parking Ticket...out of control scam
- Sweet success for the euro
- People's No Campaign Threatens Legal Action agains...
- More money for wrongly fined drivers in Sunderland...
- Goodwill offer for speeders...Another No Campaign ...
- Flying the flag - its classed as an "Advert" ODPM ...
- English flag on New Airport Sign!
- Another Victory for the No Campaign:This time Nort...
- US Firm Dealing in Flat Pack 'Affordable' Homes
- Cheshire Police forced to take down EU Flag...Anot...
- Is Wear Valley District Council the most unpatriot...
- ▼ December (28)