The People's No Campaign
1st December 2005
"Is Wear Valley District Council the most unpatriotic in England?"
On Friday 23rd September 2005 The People's No Campaigners, Neil Herron and Jim Tague, forced Wear Valley District Council to remove the EU Flag as they had been flying it unlawfully ( it is classed as an outdoor advertisement and not the flag of a nation state. It would therefore require planning permission to be flown BUT to then use public money to promote a political project would also fall foul of Section 19 of the Local Authority Guidelines on Publicity).
It was replaced, with no complaints with the English Flag, the Cross of St. George.
The story was covered nationally here. and locally here.
The People's No Campaign has also successfully forced the removal of the EU Flag in other Local Authority areas and also from the HQ of Cheshire Constabulary. That story made the national press and was covered here.
Last week on Thursday 24th November Wear Valley District Council's Planning Committee voted unanimously to give itself planning permission to fly the EU Flag. Read it here. and here
This will entail the removal of the English Flag and replacing it with the 'Ring of Stars.'
This was covered nationally here
On 14th December 2005 the Wear Valley District Council meets in full committee to agree to the policy decision to fly the EU Flag instead of the Cross of St. George. Statements made by the Council Leaders show where their true loyalty lies.
The council's deputy leader, Charlie Kay, said after the meeting: "Britain is a member of the EU, I class myself as a European person and there's no question when you are involved in local government you see how much the North East has benefited from being a member of the EU."
However, personal political opinions do not allow them to disregard the law.
People's No Campaign Director, Neil Herron states, " This is undoubtedly the most unpatriotic Council in England. Their determination to remove the Cross of St. George is staggering and obviously statements made by others in the Labour Party nationally reveal where their true loyalty lies, and all this comes at a time when Tony Blair is about to surrender our £3billion EU budget rebate. We must stand up to this arrogant political elite and that includes fighting on every level. I am sure England's spotlight will be shining on every Wear Valley councillor when they sit and meet on 14th December. Let them dare to vote to remove the Cross of St. George."
The People's No Campaign
12 Frederick Street
Tel. 0191 565 7143
Mob. 07776 202045
www.neilherron.blogspot.com and www.thepeoplesnocampaign.co.uk
Thursday, December 01, 2005
- ► 2011 (51)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (115)
- ► 2008 (179)
- ► 2007 (210)
- ► 2006 (392)
- Parliamentary questions for Chris Mullin
- EU Flag
- Size matters when it's a pizza history
- NCP Drive businesses out of town
- Watson v City of Sunderland
- Row escalating as European flag flies again
- The 'metric martyr' a 'figure of dread'??
- Council staff shortages inquiry call
- St George to stay in pole position
- Rochdale MP calls into question disabled parking t...
- Review of parking charges welcomed
- Fears over 'backdoor' regional assembly
- Press Release:Flag Victory as Council concedes def...
- Is there a future for Regional Government?
- Adjudicators decision in RE58...The Rochdale case
- Latest from European Movement on the EU Flag issue...
- Parking gaffe may cost council dear
- The £10m Parking Ticket...out of control scam
- Sweet success for the euro
- People's No Campaign Threatens Legal Action agains...
- More money for wrongly fined drivers in Sunderland...
- Goodwill offer for speeders...Another No Campaign ...
- Flying the flag - its classed as an "Advert" ODPM ...
- English flag on New Airport Sign!
- Another Victory for the No Campaign:This time Nort...
- US Firm Dealing in Flat Pack 'Affordable' Homes
- Cheshire Police forced to take down EU Flag...Anot...
- Is Wear Valley District Council the most unpatriot...
- ▼ December (28)