Feb 14, 2007
A pensioner was yesterday ignoring the door to bailiffs after refusing to pay her council tax in protest against regional assemblies.
Widow Elisabeth Beckett, 82, claims the North-West Regional Assembly, which covers Cumbria, is part of an attempt to break up the country at the behest of the European Union.
Mrs Beckett owes Eden District Council more than £1,800 in unpaid tax since beginning the protest last year.
Her initial plan was to withhold the portion that would go to the assembly. But when the authority refused to specify that on her bill, the retired farmer began to boycott all payments.
After a court ordered her to pay the tax, she said she is now being pursued by bailiffs for the sum.
Mrs Beckett, of Front Street, Alston, claimed: "What the regional assembly is intended to do is take small bits of England, combine them with Brussels and have no English parliament. It's effectively treason.
"This has made me into a criminal. It is the sort of law that dictators make. I'm sitting here with my curtains and shutters drawn. It's a horrid experience. Why do the Government do this?"
Eden Council enforcement manager Spike Johnson said: "I cannot talk about individual cases.
"We would only employ bailiffs as a last resort. Eden District Council tries to work with individuals rather than taking the dogs out."
Wednesday, February 21, 2007
- ► 2011 (51)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (115)
- ► 2008 (179)
- U2 Singer Bono gets a Parking Ticket in Sunderland...
- Eric Brittain Letters
- Parking Paradox created in Sunderland
- Drivers face £600 bill for an in-car road pricing ...
- Conservatives on Road Pricing ... no motorists cha...
- 'Over eager' parking wardens pay penalty
- MP gives backing to Polish road signs
- Booker on Galileo and Road Charging
- Council tax protest pensioner awaits bailiffs
- Army of spies to police smoking ban in pubs
- More 'Mad Officials' with an arbitrary power to fi...
- Pan European Data Base ...
- You couldn't make it up... British road signs in P...
- Ticket gaffe costs city £6.5m
- Parking Solutions ...
- Camera boss admits flaw
- Driver's delight as speeding conviction overturned...
- How car drivers are taking on traffic wardens - an...
- Parking loophole is a winning ticket for Andy
- ACPO Freedom of Information Request ... Free Movem...
- Sunderland Council cancels another 33 of Herron's ...
- ▼ February (21)
- ► 2006 (392)
- ► 2005 (445)