Another victory ... this time for the Metric Martyrs and common sense.
Following Cheshire Council's attempt to enter the Guiness Book of Records for the highest scrabble score we remind them of the law.
Read the story here as to how another Council Official has been reminded of what he is paid to do and which laws he must obey.
The polite request below, if it is not complied with, will be followed with a harder punch...
Letter to Cheshire County Council
Cheshire County Council
15th February 2007
Dear Mr. Anderton,
I understand from the article on page 5 of today's Daily Express that you are the council officer responsible for the commissioning of the signs shown in the article.
No doubt you will be aware of the requirements of the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 and it should not be the responsibility of a member of the public to remind you of the legal signing requirements.
Please confirm that all unlawful signs showing metric distances will be removed immediately. Please also provide the legal authority which allows you to sign in Polish and provide copies of any Department for Transport Special Authorisations for such non-prescribed signs.
You will be aware that the Highways Act 1980 does not permit unlawful signs to be placed on or near the highway.
I would be grateful if you could provide the cost ( please treat as a Freedom of Information Request if necessary) of all signs commissioned by Cheshire County Council's Highway's Department:
(i) in Polish
(ii) containing metric distances,
and copies of all communications (written, e-mail and telephone) with regard to this matter for the period covering the last three months.
I look forward to your response and please confirm that you will instruct officers to remove all non-compliant signs forthwith and provide the Chief Executive and County Solicitor with a copy of this e-mail.
Metric Martyrs Defence Fund
12 Frederick Street
Tel. 0191 565 7143
Mob. 07776 202045
cc. Greg Swift, Paul Broster, Daily Express Newsdesk
cc. Newsdesk, Cheshire News
cc. Cheshire County Council Chief Executive
cc. County Solicitor
cc. John Gardner, British Weights and Measures Association
Thursday, February 15, 2007
- ► 2011 (51)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (115)
- ► 2008 (179)
- U2 Singer Bono gets a Parking Ticket in Sunderland...
- Eric Brittain Letters
- Parking Paradox created in Sunderland
- Drivers face £600 bill for an in-car road pricing ...
- Conservatives on Road Pricing ... no motorists cha...
- 'Over eager' parking wardens pay penalty
- MP gives backing to Polish road signs
- Booker on Galileo and Road Charging
- Council tax protest pensioner awaits bailiffs
- Army of spies to police smoking ban in pubs
- More 'Mad Officials' with an arbitrary power to fi...
- Pan European Data Base ...
- You couldn't make it up... British road signs in P...
- Ticket gaffe costs city £6.5m
- Parking Solutions ...
- Camera boss admits flaw
- Driver's delight as speeding conviction overturned...
- How car drivers are taking on traffic wardens - an...
- Parking loophole is a winning ticket for Andy
- ACPO Freedom of Information Request ... Free Movem...
- Sunderland Council cancels another 33 of Herron's ...
- ▼ February (21)
- ► 2006 (392)
- ► 2005 (445)