Northern Echo Letters 10.02.05
I AM deeply concerned that Councillor Chris Foote-Wood should continue to believe (HAS, Feb 5) that my comments regarding the abolition of the North-East Assembly are a personal attack on him.
This is simply not true. I am merely offering the public facts about what I see as a gross misuse of taxpayers' money.
I respect the fact that the assembly was part of a 30-year dream for Coun Foote-Wood, but in a democratic society we have to abide by results. So the councillor finds himself in the awkward position of sitting on a North-East Assembly against the wishes of the overwhelming no result. It makes him look rather hypocritical.
Rather than demonising those who voted 'no', he may be afforded more respect if he resigned from the assembly. - Jim Tague, Bishop Auckland Conservatives.
COUNCILLORS should respect the wishes of the people (HAS, Feb 5) and disband the unelected assemblies.
Unfortunately, the local parties are merely mirroring their Westminster party policies.
Another example of our shoddy representation in England is in the case of the English student who is going to the European Court of Justice because she is being discriminated against in Scotland over tuition fees.
How did English MPs allow this to happen when a majority of them were against tuition fees? So we have unelected devolved MPs running English departments, unelected and possibly illegal regional assemblies and quangos running amok throughout the country.
If Tony Blair was never keen on elected regional assemblies why is he continuing to support unelected ones?
This Government has been kicking England around since devolution for Wales and Scotland and it's time it stopped. - K Young, Darlington.
- ► 2011 (51)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (115)
- ► 2008 (179)
- ► 2007 (210)
- ► 2006 (392)
- Will this be the downfall of the assemblies?
- Leader of North East Assembly's Criminal Convictio...
- Local Government Act 1972 - Section 143
- Local Government Act 1972 - Sections 137
- Local Government Act 1972-Sections 94, 95, 96
- Prevention of Terrorism Bill exposes Metric Martyr...
- How we voted no and meant yes
- Will the Terrorism Bill 'free' the Metric Martyrs?...
- Another blunder by the Electoral Commission
- It was you who wrote Magna Carta, my Lords. And no...
- Dividing and ruling
- Inland Revenue Lawyers in Disarray
- Bill of Rights 1689 explained
- Metric Martyr's Stitch up explained
- New funding for assembly?
- An apology from BBC's Jeremy Vine
- Trouble at Mill...Wakefield Council acting illegal...
- REGIONAL ASSEMBLY
- Find your MEP
- Investigation: This man wants to hit BT with a bas...
- Pro Forma Letter to MEP's
- The Pensioners’ rallying cry should be: No link, n...
- Raising concerns over plans for homes
- BBC's Jeremy Vine Show drops Parking Ticket story
- Scathing report urges public inquiry to measure in...
- STAFF LEVELS AT ASSEMBLY REVEALED
- Legal twist exposes 'miscarriage of justice' for t...
- 'Talking shop' funds are cut
- Regions miss out on EU concessions
- REGIONAL ASSEMBLY
- Regional Assemblies
- Ringing endorsement for assembly by Government
- Devolution 'could spark EU power struggle'
- Bringing order to the regions, Paperclip policy ta...
- LEADER ANGERED BY POWER OF ASSEMBLY
- 400,000 homes in North face demolition
- Council set to pull plug on assembly
- FPB: Scrap ‘abject’ regional assemblies and save £...
- 'In a Nutshell'...the Government's Dilemma £1billi...
- NORTH-EAST ASSEMBLY
- Prescott focuses on local level in U-turn
- People of the region were frightened by scare stor...
- Tory wants Assembly out
- Parking Tickets...Administrative Bodies out of Con...
- Now it's starting to happen
- ▼ February (45)