By David Rennie in Brussels, The Telegraph
13th April 2005
Members of the European Parliament rejected moves yesterday to clean upscandal-ridden arrangements for their travel allowances and expenses. Theirdecision prompted anger and disbelief from British MEPs, who voted forproposed reforms.
In a series of votes carried by a margin of six to four at a full session ofthe parliament in Strasbourg, MEPs resisted proposals for audits of theiraccounts and turned down calls to impose sanctions on those found to havedefrauded the taxpayer.
The votes "gave an all-clear to embezzlement", said Chris Davies MEP, theleader of the British Liberal Democrats in the parliament.
Mr Davies expressed particular disappointment after his fellow MEPs voted tocontinue a trust-based system for payments into the parliament's privatepension scheme.
The scheme is wide open to fraud. MEPs who choose to join can pay up to £664a month into their pension plans, with their contribution deducted fromtheir office expense account, not from their salary.
In theory, MEPs then reimburse their office accounts for pensioncontributions but no checks are carried out.
"I reimburse my contribution every month but there is no need to presentreceipts for office expenses and there's no audit. You could use theallowance for any purpose you like," said Mr Davies.
The parliament also voted to maintain its travel allowance scheme. By buyingcheaper fares in advance, or using budget airlines, a British MEP couldeasily make up to £500 profit in a week.
Wednesday, April 13, 2005
- ► 2011 (51)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (115)
- ► 2008 (179)
- ► 2007 (210)
- ► 2006 (392)
- Press Release-Hustings Meeting 3rd May
- Election Lines
- Police investigate ballot fraud allegations
- Founding Father of Modern Democracy an insult to B...
- The Silence of the Electoral Commission lambs
- ASSEMBLY 'IS A WASTE OF CASH'
- ..a Free Trade Area? Oh how they lied.
- Press Release: Independents Day
- Surge in region's postal voters
- Sunderland Today
- Stephen Hughes MEP Goes Native
- Press Release
- EU Enlargement: Breakfast's Highlights
- Postal vote legal bid is launched
- Potential for Postal Ballot Fraud
- Not obliged to pay penalties other than those impo...
- PRESCOTT STAFF IN FRAUD PROBE
- DEATH OF FIRST METRIC REBEL
- Complaint Procedure - John Jones...investigation O...
- Blair at centre of new row over postal votes
- Postal Ballot Fraudsters...too many eyes watching ...
- Help Support the French 'No' Campaign
- Send an e-mail to France Libre francelibreetsouver...
- No apology forthcoming from European Commission of...
- Four-Letter fury of the EU lackey
- Get after your MEP and ask for their voting record...
- Election boss suspended after postal-votes raid
- MEP's endorse the madhouse
- New fears over postal vote fraud
- Did all the British MEP's vote against?
- Brussels e-mail calls Metric Martyrs 'Luddites'
- It makes EU wonder!
- North West Conservative Councils have balls...Time...
- Electoral Commission and their lawyers in crisis t...
- Allegation of Racketeering, Fraud & Illegal Conduc...
- New Frontiers on the horizon for Dominic Cummings ...
- Copy of Letter from Miss Nasreen Akhtar 29.03.05, ...
- Barber's Cut. New Crony Heads up Ass
- ▼ April (38)