Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Today the Government wanted to check out my home

... for statistical purposes!

My home had been 'selected at random' in order to produce a statistical analysis of home types and conditions across the country.

The 'interviewer' turned up today with an official badge and asked to come in. I apologised for keeping her standing on the step while I nipped inside and got something.

On my return I produced a tape recorder to ensure that there wasn't any misunderstanding at any point in the future and I then politely refused her access.

I pointed out that I did not want the condition or content of my home recorded by any Government agency ... regardless of the reason.

"But we just want to check on matters such as energy efficiency."

I pointed out that as she didn't have a set of ladders to check the loft insulation nor have any tools to check the width and content of the wall cavities then that would be a pretty worthless task.

I then went on to point out that I did not want ANY Government agency to access this data, never mind all of them.

"Ah, but the data will be anonymous" she said.

I pointed out that she had my house number and address ... it was on the letter sent to me, therefore, it was not beyond the realms of rocket science to check the electoral register ... another document available to ALL public officials and add that to the fact that they could also check my phone records and bank account it would only be a matter of time before the hospital would want to set up the appointment for the anal probe!

She seemed a little amazed and staggered when I mentioned the fact that a great raft of agencies now had access to telephone records.

"That can't be true. It would never happen."

I excused myself again, and impoloitely left her standing on the doorstep. Minutes later I returned with a copy of the Statutory Instrument bringing into force ... the European Directive giving a raft of agencies access to telephone records which I had printed off minutes earlier.

"I can assure you that this would not happen with this survey ... would you like to reconsider?"

The day I allow government inspectors to intrude into all aspects of my personal life will be ... and just then I looked up and for a moment and saw the following:



Even10 years ago if somebody had told me the following:

"The Government will be given access to details of every phone call in Britain."

"By 2009 the Government will extend the rules to cover internet use: the websites we have visited, the people we have emailed and phone calls made over the net."

"Thousands of staff in other agencies will be legally entitled to retrieve the records..."

"Similar provisions are being brought in across Europe, .."

"The process allows the Government to alter laws without a full act of Parliament."

"It puts into UK law a European Directive....."

I would have said you have more chance of seeing a pig fly over my house.

Today I saw the squadron.
After witnessing the persecution of greengrocer Steve Thoburn as the result of a 'European Directive' and what happens when laws are made without being discussed and debated by Parliament and now today's 'law' when will the silentmajority reach tipping point?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Selected at random". Really? Why do I not believe this?

Good luck, Neil. Isn't the next thing a FPN for not allowing this State-sponsered snooper into your home?

There's going to be a revolution soon; there has to be, or we truly are doomed...

Neil Herron said...

I think that the 'tipping-point' is not far away.

An early call for an election could hopefully create the chain reaction.

A referendum on the constitution is the first step on the journey home.

Anonymous said...

If any local government, civil service, quango or NGO appartchik comes to my home and 'requests' me to comply with another EC directive, I shall have great difficulty in resisting the urge to bayonet them with a pitchfork and hang them from the nearest lamp-post.

Anonymous said...

Firstly just like to say great job Neil. This site is a excellent read!. Can't believe how much this stuff winds me up.

Anyway back to this article..

Only a few weeks ago a representative from the council turned up at my sisters house in South Hylton. They demanded to look in every room walk around her garden etc?. It was also apparently a random visit? They were politely told to leave the property. The man apologised and said he wasnt expecting to be allowed in. No one else had given him permission for the last few days! Rumours have been going around though that houses with large amounts of land or individual detached houses are being targeted by the council for a council tax band change? Have you heard anything about this?

Many Thanks

Paul

Anonymous said...

I knew the writing was on the wall back in 2001 when the police, whose job it is to protect the public, backed up the killing teams by cordoning off my premises, I had an affidavit, they lost but believe me it was a civil war situation, them and us. Hard to believe the thousands that gave their lives for this country in two world wars and the masses have not yet reached their "tipping point". Keep up the good work Neil, there are those of us who suport you all the way.

Anonymous said...

lets start the revolution. All we need is a leader and millions will follow.

Blog Archive


only search Neil Herron Blog