Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Sunderland born Yes 'Celebrity' furious about Yes Campaign Leaflet

TV Agony Aunt, Denise Robertson has slammed the Yes Campaign for attributing misleading quotes to her.
Denise has always been a supporter of a Yes vote, but was very concerned that it might lead to the break up of the country.

It now appears that she and her name has been well and truly used by the Yes Campaign who have now been forced to apologise. To read the story please click here or view it below.

Campaigners say sorry to Denise
Oct 26 2004
By The Journal


The campaign for a regional assembly has been forced into a climbdown after one of its high-profile supporters described comments attributed to her on a leaflet as "rubbish".
TV agony aunt Denise Robertson, a backer of Yes4theNorthEast, was outraged at remarks on a Yes4theNorthEast mailshot.
Mrs Robertson, whose husband and son both support a no vote, was quoted as saying: "Most people who are against us are from London."
But yesterday she said: "I didn't say that, nor do I believe it. I'm ashamed of being associated with that.
"It's entirely contrary to my beliefs. I can only apologise that my name is linked with this rubbish. But I still back the campaign. I still think a yes vote would be good for the region and I accept their apology."
Yes4thenortheast director Ross Forbes said: "In the heat of the campaign, we made a genuine mistake.
"We apologise unreservedly for any inconvenience or embarrassment this might have caused her."

No comments:

Blog Archive


only search Neil Herron Blog