STOP PRESS: Here is Berwick Council's explanation. The sign is not metric its in 'bike miles!'
A charity to promote cycling is getting a rough ride from Scots after placing a sign in a disputed Border town which points to a place where the Jacobite Rebellion collapsed. more...
Looks like someone in Berwick Council is having a dig at the Scots.
A sign just outside the town centre points to Edinburgh ... and Derby, which was as far as Bonnie Prince and his Jacobites got on 4th December 1745, leaving on 6th.
Trouble for the Council is that the sign gives the distance in metric, which does not therefore conform to the legislation ... the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002...the legal rerequirement is that distances be given in miles, not kilometres ( and even the distances when converted into miles are wrong)
Metric Martyrs Campaign Director Neil Herron states, " I am aware that the Department for Transport is monitoring the metric changeover in Ireland ... but would face massive resistance here. But for a Council in England to attempt to do it one sign at a time may take a while. On this occasion I do not suspect a deliberate attempt by the Government to metricate the country by stealth. Their last attempt to try the stealth approach with pounds and ounces ended up with them slipping on a pound of Steve Thoburn's banana skins.
I think it may well be a snub by Berwick Council at the Scots following the latest BBC poll which suggests that a slight majority of Scots want independence and a majority of English want their own Parliament.
Berwick Council's dig at the Scots may not only cause embarassment because of a little cross-border conflict it will also be embarassing because the sign is in metric which renders it illegal."
Tuesday, January 16, 2007
- ► 2011 (51)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (115)
- ► 2008 (179)
- Frederick Street (West) Sunderland ... now the tic...
- Parking Adjudicator made mistakes
- Is your local authority 'playing politics' with pu...
- Bank gets the Bailiff treatment
- Britain open to terror suspects in EU loophole
- Westminster tracing top ten parking fine evaders
- Chief Constable ... Free Movement of People conseq...
- No hiding place from car clampers
- Sunderland Council and the Department for Transpor...
- Sunderland's Parking Regime and Councillors blogs
- Berwick Council Metric Sign Clanger
- Sunderland Labour blogs ... stop laughing!
- Parking Outrage
- Notice to Owner: Another Sunderland Clanger
- Police force reveals there is no way to check an E...
- Foreign criminals ... penny slowly starting to dro...
- North East Assembly Parking Outrage ... more abuse...
- EU criminals 'can't be checked'
- Legal battle looms for parking ticket millions
- £250,000 rent lost on city building
- Judge exposes EU Criminal record problem
- Sex Offenders, paedophiles and criminals ... the q...
- Under Secretary of State Joan Ryan and that letter...
- Road Pricing Petition ... please sign
- Sunderland needs a Solicitor ... help !!!
- Parking Mad
- Newcastle City Council exposed offering rent free ...
- Who will be the patsy for this blunder? Political ...
- Is the PM also unaware of massive 'Sex Offender an...
- North East Assembly 'Squatters' do a runner!
- EU stealing the crown of the great British pint | ...
- York Drivers Happy With Parking Fines (from York P...
- ▼ January (32)
- ► 2006 (392)
- ► 2005 (445)