Thursday, November 02, 2006
Joe keeps parking job
Thursday, November 2, 2006
By Ross Robertson
An under-fire councillor is still in charge of Sunderland Council's controversial parking refime today despite calls last night for his resignation.
An extraordinary meeting was called by Conservatives demanding Coun Joe Lawson quit his post as cabinet member for transport following a TV documentary which allegedly showed city parking attendants making racist remarks and abusing their power.
Tories say Coun Lawson's department should be scrapped, the city's parking contract with NCP terminated and parking penalties refunded to motorists in light of the allegations made in BBC1's Inside Out show.
At the meeting last night in Sunderland Civic Centre's council chamber, Tory leader Coun Lee Martin described the parking system in the city as a "mess" and council leaders of failing to monitor the company sufficiently.
He added: "Either NCP knew what was going on and turned a blind eye, or they didn't have a clue, which is complete failure of management."
Coun Martin also criticised Coun Lawson for being unaware of the nuclear waste train passing through the city, problems with housing, delays in planning applications and poor public transport.
But Labour's majority stood firm behind Coun Lawson, and the motion was defeated by 45 votes to 16.
Speaking before the vote, Coun Lawson attacked the Conservatives, accusing them of jumping on an "unfair media bandwagon" and that the parking enforcement regime in the city was "legally robust, lawful and enforceable."
"I will not be resigning. I believe, and my colleagues believe, that I'm doing a reasonable job," he said.
Neil's yard protest
Parking protester and metric martyr Neil Herron believes council traffic orders are illegitimate - because they give the measurements in yards rather than metres.
Mr Herron, who took on the council over the prosecution of greengrocer Steven Thoburn for selling bananas in imperial measures, said a number of traffic orders use yards.
But a Department for Trade and Industry spokesman said that the department's advice was to use metric, but it was not aware it was illegal to use imperial
Posted by Neil Herron at 11:57 am
- ► 2011 (51)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (115)
- ► 2008 (179)
- ► 2007 (210)
- Another fine mess
- Chauffeur’s fury over £150 BP parking fine ... Civ...
- Fined driver takes on council and wins ... another...
- The fine mess continues ... now Redcar and Clevela...
- Now there are spy cameras at rubbish tips
- Sunderland Labour Group Letter that launched the n...
- BBC Reports Sunderland Labour Sleaze Row
- Opportunity for the Leader of Sunderland City Coun...
- Labour in fresh party funding row
- Sleazy Labour's £2m raid on council tax funds ... ...
- Same feet on traffic beat
- Chippy smells of chips complaint
- Off the streets
- Another fine mess .... more rubbish
- BBC Inside Out programme goes national
- NCP may lose some city parking duties
- Assembly on the move - but of its own accord
- Driver Gets Tickets as He Tries to Save His Dying ...
- Cost of Regional Assemblies risen from £5 million ...
- Daniel Mumford ... Victory against Southampton Cou...
- Shadow Tyneside Minister confirms that regional as...
- Parking protest suffers setback ... or has NPAS wa...
- Have your say on political funding
- Councillor faces party rap for snubbing campaign l...
- Blackpool FOI response
- Westminster Council ... Local Government Ombudsman...
- Workplace parking charges scheme may set precedent...
- Coronation Street saga continues
- Robin de Crittenden Skeleton Argument submitted to...
- Doctor makes a stand against parking fines
- The Parking Alternatives ...
- Mexican Stand Off in Sunderland
- Sunderland Council's NCP Parking Attendants' silen...
- Dacorum Council put on notice...another parking fi...
- And another (Dacorum Borough Council) one's gone ....
- Dacorum decision ... another council bites the roa...
- Parking in Southampton ... what a shambles!
- Parking Attendant's Blog
- And another one's gone (Tendring District Council)...
- Another One (Ealing Council) Bites the Dust ...
- The Letters Page (Sunderland Echo)
- Sunderland Council Press Statement ... Imperial Me...
- Tories fail to clamp transport leader
- Who has parked their yard on my car?
- Joe keeps parking job
- Another fine mess for parking bosses
- North East Regional Assembly ... the real con
- Carmarthen Journal
- ▼ November (49)
- ► 2005 (445)