Tuesday 13th September 2005
AN INVESTIGATION has been ordered by council bosses into the blunder that saw them refund hundreds of parking tickets issued illegally.
Sunderland City Council has admitted that about 700 tickets were wrongly put on cars parked in taxi ranks in the city.
Traffic wardens slapped the tickets on cars parked in the city's 14 taxi ranks – but they did not have legal powers to do so.
An internal investigation is now under way at the civic centre into how the mess came about. It followed the decriminalisation of parking in the city two-and-a-half years ago, which took the issue out of police hands. The investigation's findings are to be reported to the city's environment scrutiny committee. Its chairman, Coun David Tate, said today: "The refund is a big issue and we want to know how we got into this in the first place.
"It is not just highways officers but also legal officers at the council that will be part of this scrutiny.
"It is not known how many of the 700 tickets were paid for at the £30 rate or at a higher rate but the total sum has been estimated at no less than £21,000. The council has urged anyone who paid to contact staff.
"The problem came to light as part of a dispute over parking charges in the city mounted by motorists and campaigner Neil Herron. They have claimed proper legal orders on parking were not written up by the council.Mr Herron said: "It is not just a simple matter of putting the traffic orders in place, but when the council wrote to the Government that all traffic orders were in place they clearly misled the Secretary of State.
"Mr Herron claimed some people were finding it difficult to get refunds from the council and said it had signed off its accounts when they weren't proper and correct. He added: "There a lot of unanswered questions over Sunderland Council's parking regime."
13 September 2005
Page 1 of
Wednesday, September 14, 2005
- ► 2011 (51)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (115)
- ► 2008 (179)
- ► 2007 (210)
- ► 2006 (392)
- Evidence to the House of Commons Transport Committ...
- Department of Constitutional Affairs......Nothing ...
- EU Flag? ...Not here...Second Front Page of the Da...
- Another Parking Ticket Victory...Another Front Pag...
- First the Ashes...Now EU Beaten...Another Victory ...
- No fines without court appearance
- Pressure is on to evict assembly
- Eleanor Sharpston QC...You be the Judge
- Lib Dems agree with Herron
- Unelected assembly slammed
- Response from NPAS
- NPAS wriggles and squirms
- NPAS under more pressure
- Constitutional Storm Clouds Gather over Sunderland...
- Complaint to Law Society about NPAS
- Will the Aussies now have their tape measures out?...
- Call to scrap parking panel
- NPAS on shaky ground
- Gallows being prepared in Sunderland
- Press Release: National Parking Adjudicator Mislea...
- Investigation into Sunderland City Council / Natio...
- Driven to complain
- Probe into parking tickets blunder
- Government Office plays Pontius Pilate
- Constitutional Confrontation drawing closer...Comm...
- Further Questions as National Parking Adjudicator ...
- No justice in parking 'court'
- The Clock is Ticking Sunderland...why so long?
- Victory...HM Customs and Excise back down after Bi...
- Robin Rocky De Crittenden dying to get in the ring...
- Rocky De Crittenden throws down the gauntlet
- Give 'em a pint and they'll take a kilometre
- Worcester City Council now facing NPAS Challenge
- Legal papers served on Sunderland Council
- NPAS 'Independent'...bet you 60p a ticket that the...
- Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council unlawfully i...
- Metric Martyrs Wrongly Convicted...A Miscarriage o...
- Bill of Rights 1689...NPAS Decision
- Bill of Rights Decision by NPAS Adjudicator
- Did the UK Metrication Association lie? You decide...
- NPAS...THAT Telephone call...what was said...and t...
- Letter to Caroline Shepherd NPAS Chief Adjudicator...
- Letter to Andrew Barfoot NPAS Tribunal Manager Reg...
- NPAS Decision...Taxi Ranks
- Letter of Apology from NPAS Chief Adjudicator
- Letter of Apology from NPAS Tribunal Manager
- ▼ September (46)