Saturday, September 10, 2005

Victory...HM Customs and Excise back down after Bill of Rights threat

Looks like the threat of Lord Justice Laws Judgment had forced HM Customs and Excise to drop an action.

We (BWMA) have today received the following email from LeslieHatcher:

"I refer you to our conversation the other evening about my appeal against my VAT surcharge of £445. Two days ago I received a letter from HM Revenue and Customs stating that I had no case to answer and would I withdraw my appeal.

Instead of doing that I wrote another letter restating my case but in even stronger terms quoting Hierarchy of Actsvand no appeals so far etc. "

This morning I have received my seventh letter from them stating that they are now going to withdraw the surcharge.

In other words I have won ... It is all down to you and the extremely clever Mr de Crittenden. I have telephoned Patience Wheatcroft of the Times. I could not speak to her but I did speak to one of the other business editors who was absolutely fascinated and who understood the full significance of this on the spot. I am about to be phoned back by one of her team who want to take this further.I
was ridiculed by my associates here when I set out on this course of action who said that I was being stupid. They are changing their views now I think.

I think that this is significant because it extends your argument beyond parking problems and magnifies the significance of the 1689 Act tremendously. The Inland Revenue would never back down if they were sure of their ground and this is an admission that they are far from sure. I think that this news needs to bespread around and more people should take up the cause ...

I hope that my little effort is of help to you all".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, with your victory

Anonymous said...

Excellent victory. Why do all these idiots have to keep posting stupid comments about weight loss and other rubbish.

Can't beat getting HMRC on the run :-)

Blog Archive


only search Neil Herron Blog