Tuesday October 10, 2006
Parking bosses and council officials have met members of Sunderland's Bangladeshi community over remarks made in a television documentary.
Five parking attendants have been suspended after NCP staff in Sunderland were filmed making racist comments and cracking jokes about disabled people on the BBC programme.
The workers were removed from their positions and a full investigation is under way.
Members of Sunderland City Council and executives from NCP, whose staff enforce parking rules in the city for the authority, have met and spoken with members of Wearside's Bangladeshi community following the programme.
The remarks were filmed as part of an undercover report for the BBC's Inside Out programme and showed one attendant describing slashing a man's tyres after he complained.
NCP took over parking enforcement from the council in 2003 but unions are now urging the authority to take parking enforcement "in-house".
Jacqui Gallagher, branch secretary of Unison, said: "We were against the transfer in the first place and, after watching the programme, have been appalled at the conduct of BCP attendants with their racism, comments about the disabled and their deceitful actions."
After the documentary Coun Bryan Charlton, who has responsibilty for community cohesion in Sunderland, said: "The council and its partners are as shocked as everyone else.
"These views of a tiny minority are not representative of parking attendants in the city."
"Many people in Sunderland have worked very hard over the past few years to promote good relations between people from different backgrounds".
Wednesday, October 11, 2006
- ► 2011 (51)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (115)
- ► 2008 (179)
- ► 2007 (210)
- Burnley's Parkwise PCNs 'not compliant' NPAS rule
- Sunderland City Council's Coronation Street Imperi...
- EU Unfit for Purpose...
- Illegal Green Parking Fines
- NCP Cavalry on its way to Sunderland?
- Bagfull of Letters in the Sunderland Echo ... "Cle...
- NCP Parking Attendant Arrested
- Disappearing Sunderland Parking Ticket as major Ro...
- What Parking Problems?
- Councils 'turning parking into a money making exer...
- Parking Meltdown following Government Response to ...
- Leeds City Council Parking Regime ... Is it the ne...
- MPs Metric Speed Muddle ... Again
- A lesson to other Councils
- NCP and that Council Meeting last night
- Department for Transport Freedom of Information Re...
- More NCP Suspensions in Sunderland
- Should NCP Ltd run Sunderland's Parking regime?
- Popular blog in Sunderland Council offices
- New Speed Camera illegal? Bigger implications?
- New device to be used against motoring 'criminals'...
- Speed Scameras
- Is this the country you want your children to grow...
- As more local authorities are getting caught out w...
- New ITV 'Driving Me Crazy' Documentary
- Manchester City Council and the National Parking A...
- National Parking Adjudication Service 2006 Account...
- National Drivers Organisation to be launched soon
- Department for Transport anxiously watches Sunderl...
- Court adjourned for speeding cases
- High Wycombe Council in another fine mess
- Parking bosses meet Asian leaders
- PATAS faces another Bill of Rights Challenge
- Talks over city parking
- Leeds City Council Parking Problems
- Sunderland Parking Meltdown
- £3.5M parking fines may be written off
- PROBE INTO PARKING CONTRACT AFTER TV SHOCKER
- Two sets of parking rules for one street
- NCP deal to be reviewed
- TV probe into city parking
- Press Release: £1.2bn Parking Industry under threa...
- Is the National Parking Adjudication Service Indep...
- ▼ October (44)
- ► 2005 (445)