Newcastle Journal Letters
‘Fake devolution’ centralises power in Brussels
John Prescott’s (the EU-regime’s) programme of regionalisation is "fake devolution", because it abolishes local and national democracy and centralises power in Brussels.
Although beguilingly impotent and boring, this (very) new "regional" structure is already a means for EU decrees to coerce elected local councillors. Via the office of the Deputy Prime Minister (ODPM – EU decree becomes a statuary instrument, which parliament never sees), the Regional Government Office (RGO statuary instrument becomes government instruction) and the Regional Assembly (RA-Government instruction becomes regional planning strategy) so that councillor Bloggs of your local planning committee (who has no power to change it) is the first elected representative ever to have the opportunity of considering it.
The appalling, soviet style "strategy", governing, for example, costly restrictions on traffic movement, the creation of divisive, litigious "equality –issues", the environmentally-nonsensical construction of wind farms and unworkable "doorstep-recycling", jamming "high-density, car-free, in-fill housing" into the open spaces of every town pouring out expensive propaganda to support these initiatives – without a mandate from any elected body, is just a taste of the dictatorship to come, if these "regional" structures are allowed the constitutional legitimacy they currently lack.
If the regional assembly were elected (were to acquire a fig-leaf of democracy) it would still be obliged to implement EU decrees, but would do so without the existing intermediate stages.
We must reject Prescott’s quasi-democratic, pseudo-devolutionary initiative, sternly, decisively and at once.
(Wells and Weston-Super-Mare)
- ► 2011 (51)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (115)
- ► 2008 (179)
- ► 2007 (210)
- ► 2006 (392)
- ► 2005 (445)
- Uncomfortable Minister trying to sell bottled fog ...
- Herron puts Cats Amongst Pigeons
- Private Members Clubs are the future. New legal di...
- Pigs Flying over Durham Cathedral
- Full Report on Postal Ballots by the Electoral Com...
- Northern Echo...Front Page
- Letter Berwick Advertiser
- Comment in the Yorkshire Post
- More Bad News...Vote to go ahead?
- But the North East had no problems ...at all.
- RDA officials 'uneasy' about ERA's
- How many Rivers in the North East?
- Electoral Commission Report Leaked?
- People will now wake up to Prescott's Shambles...i...
- Another Dreamer
- Regionalisation House of Cards Begins to Fall
- Hexham Courant 20th August
- Press 6 For Prescott...The Unwanted Emergency Serv...
- Prescott starting to prepare for defeat
- It Doesn't Need a Rocket Scientist !
- Today's Letters
- Today's Letters
- Yes Camp on Holiday?
- Looks like the Rev is debating with himself ! Perh...
- Today's Letters Pages
- Is England ready for regional government?
- Yes Campaign Bombarded.The public are waking up to...
- Latest Metric Martyrs News from Cornwall
- Lib Dems Alan Beith MP on the Real Reasons for NE ...
- Lenin's "Useful idiots," Fred Brady but not Ray Ma...
- Centralising Power
- Seeems like someone is getting under their skin
- We will wait for Lisa's answers. Don't hold your b...
- Metric Martyrs in Cornwall Throw Down the Gauntlet...
- Rapid Response
- Prescott's Fat, Government by the Tories.
- Today's ERA News in Newcastle Journal including Ed...
- Someone Else Read the Bill !
- Yes Campaign Letter Writer Now a Small Business Ex...
- Elected Assemblies..The big hurdle...cost!
- Let Them Eat Pasties
- "They Grow Like Topsy"
- Support The Campaign
- Another 'Usual Suspect' Joins Gravy Train Queue
- How clear?
- Only Two Myths To Shatter Today!
- Don't Forget!
- Cynical Hexham
- ▼ August (48)