Reminder to register for vote
Northern Echo 2nd August
NORTH-EAST voters are being urged to ensure they are on the electoral register so they can take part in the referendum for a regional assembly.
If people are not on the electoral register, they must complete a registration form and return it to their local authority by August 11 in order to vote in the November referendum.
Doug Stewart, head of referendums at the Electoral Commission, said: "It is really important that people in the North-East ensure they are on the electoral register.
"Our role is to encourage participation and voting in the regional and local government referendums.
"Reminding people to register is one of the first steps to make sure that voters are able to exercise their rights and participate in making decisions which will affect their region."
The electoral register is a list of names and addresses of everyone who has registered to vote and is updated continuously from December to September.
People can register if they are a British, Commonwealth or EU citizen and are aged 16 or over, although they cannot vote until their 18th birthday.
The registration process allows people who have moved to be placed on the electoral roll in their new local authority area.
Most people will already be on the electoral register, but people who have recently moved need to update their details.
The form and other information on how to register can be found at www.regionalvote.co.uk or from local council offices.
- ► 2011 (51)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (115)
- ► 2008 (179)
- ► 2007 (210)
- ► 2006 (392)
- ► 2005 (445)
- Uncomfortable Minister trying to sell bottled fog ...
- Herron puts Cats Amongst Pigeons
- Private Members Clubs are the future. New legal di...
- Pigs Flying over Durham Cathedral
- Full Report on Postal Ballots by the Electoral Com...
- Northern Echo...Front Page
- Letter Berwick Advertiser
- Comment in the Yorkshire Post
- More Bad News...Vote to go ahead?
- But the North East had no problems ...at all.
- RDA officials 'uneasy' about ERA's
- How many Rivers in the North East?
- Electoral Commission Report Leaked?
- People will now wake up to Prescott's Shambles...i...
- Another Dreamer
- Regionalisation House of Cards Begins to Fall
- Hexham Courant 20th August
- Press 6 For Prescott...The Unwanted Emergency Serv...
- Prescott starting to prepare for defeat
- It Doesn't Need a Rocket Scientist !
- Today's Letters
- Today's Letters
- Yes Camp on Holiday?
- Looks like the Rev is debating with himself ! Perh...
- Today's Letters Pages
- Is England ready for regional government?
- Yes Campaign Bombarded.The public are waking up to...
- Latest Metric Martyrs News from Cornwall
- Lib Dems Alan Beith MP on the Real Reasons for NE ...
- Lenin's "Useful idiots," Fred Brady but not Ray Ma...
- Centralising Power
- Seeems like someone is getting under their skin
- We will wait for Lisa's answers. Don't hold your b...
- Metric Martyrs in Cornwall Throw Down the Gauntlet...
- Rapid Response
- Prescott's Fat, Government by the Tories.
- Today's ERA News in Newcastle Journal including Ed...
- Someone Else Read the Bill !
- Yes Campaign Letter Writer Now a Small Business Ex...
- Elected Assemblies..The big hurdle...cost!
- Let Them Eat Pasties
- "They Grow Like Topsy"
- Support The Campaign
- Another 'Usual Suspect' Joins Gravy Train Queue
- How clear?
- Only Two Myths To Shatter Today!
- Don't Forget!
- Cynical Hexham
- ▼ August (48)