Did the BBC know?
Does Sam Younger have Labour connections?
Is it true that the Joseph Rowntree Foundation funds the Yes Campaign?
See below for the list of the Electoral Commission's Commissioners who made the decision to award designation to the newly formed Conservative construct, North East Says No...
Sam Younger as Chairman of the Electoral Commission
He has had a career spanning twenty years at the BBC, most recently as Managing Director of the BBC World Service from 1994 to 98. His father was a Labour MP and Minister in the Labour Government of 1945-51.
Sir Neil McIntosh CBE, Commissioner
He is the Convenor of the Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations and was Chairman of the Commission on Local Government and the Scottish Parliament. He was formerly Chief Counting Officer for Scotland for the Scottish Parliament Referendum (September 1997). He joined the Strathclyde Region in 1992 as Chief Executive until it was disbanded in 1996; the Council was the largest local authority in the UK. Sir Neil was appointed a Deputy Lieutenant of Dumfriesshire in 1998 and received an Honorary Doctorate of Law from Glasgow Caledonian University in November 1999. He was awarded a Knighthood in June 2000.
Pamela Gordon, Commissioner
Pamela Gordon has spent 40yrs in local government service. She started work with the London County Council and then spent nearly twenty years with the Greater London Council. In 1985 she became Chief Executive and Town Clerk of the London Borough of Hackney, in 1989 she became Chief Executive of Sheffield City Council and in 1996 became the first woman President of the Society of Local Authority Chief Executives. After retiring from full-time employment in 1997 she undertook a range of consultancy assignments, mainly for the National Lottery Charities Board. She is Chairwoman of the Joseph Rowntree Foundation Advisory Group on Local Government from 1997 to 2001.
Glyn Mathias, Commissioner
Glynn Mathias has had a long career in journalism. He joined the South Wales Echo as a reporter in 1967, moved to BBC regional news in Southampton in 1970 and became a Correspondent with ITN in 1973. He worked for over twenty years with ITN, becoming Political Editor, Controller, Public affairs and Chief Political Correspondent. In 1994 he moved to BBC Wales as Political Editor until 1999, when he became Manager, Public Affairs for BBC Wales until 2000. He is a lecturer and writer.
Karamjit Singh CBE, Commissioner
Karamjit Singh is currently a Member of the Criminal Cases Review Commission. Previous appointments include membership of the Civil Service Commission, Judicial Studies Board, the Police Complaints Authority, the Parole Board and Employment Tribunals Panel. His career has also covered the Commission for Racial Equality and local government. He was Assistant County Clerk (Urban Policies) for Leicestershire County Council from 1984-87.
So there you have it, all have been government appointed at some stage, none of them have ever worked outside the public sector, two are from the BBC, one from the Commission for Racial Equality and one who was heavily involved in setting up the Scottish Parliament, you really couldn't make it up....and one was Chairwoman of an organisation that is funding the Yes Campaign.
- ► 2011 (51)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (115)
- ► 2008 (179)
- ► 2007 (210)
- ► 2006 (392)
- ► 2005 (445)
- Latest Poll...59% of Chronicle Readers Say No
- Press Release
- 'Foot in Mouth' disease flares up again
- Parents hold power balance Sep 30 2004 By Graeme...
- Calls start coming in...from Conservatives
- Letter Writers Exposed...Undercover Elephants
- More rows in the Counties and Districts
- Letters exposing misrepresentation cover the regio...
- NECC Poll rattles Yes Campaign into desperatesvill...
- More evidence of a stitch up
- Today's Letters
- NESNO Say No
- Journal Letters
- Assembly proposals 'half-baked' Sep 24 2004 By E...
- Sunday Telegraph Letters Date: 26 September 2004 ...
- North East's Biggest City Says No
- More bad news for Yes
- Prescott now exposed as desperate
- The full press release from NECC
- Northern Echo Business bosses reject N-E assembly...
- Another nail in the Yes Campaign coffin
- National Coverage as stakes get higher
- Judicial Review Papers Lodged
- Liberal Party Chairman calls for a No vote
- Tony Blair and Gordon Brown unite to say 'No'
- Yes Campaign kicked again by business
- ...while the official campaign sat on its hands
- North East Small Business not impressed with Presc...
- No Campaign takes the Deputy Prime Minister to Hig...
- Newcastle Evening Chronicle
- Today's Letters
- What price information? What price democracy?
- Lib Dems Say Government "Fumbled" and "stuttered"
- Northern Echo 23rd September... Councils take Lega...
- Regional Organisers Letters
- Sunderland Echo News 23rd September
- NESNO gets a headline! Well done.
- Moe correspondence from the public
- Audit Commission adds nothing ;-)
- ODPM Ask for more time
- High noon for Raynsford
- We want answers from the Electoral Commission, not...
- North East Says No Campaign Responds to the Questi...
- 27 hours and counting...Yes Campaign still silent ...
- More Letters...tidal wave grows
- Emergency Meetings in the Electoral Commission
- Ante Raised...Court case looms
- What are the Tories saying No to, and are they say...
- Spotlight getting brighter...Electoral Commssion g...
- Public waking up to the stitch-up
- Conspiracy over Stitch-up Grows
- 24 Hours and Counting
- Complaints start going in to the Electoral Commiss...
- Stakes raised and ODPM on the back foot
- Electoral Commission catch 'Foot in Mouth'
- 'Foot in Mouth' Epidemic Spreads
- 'Foot in Mouth' outbreak in North East
- Liberals attack Electoral Commission decision
- Prescott Looking for a Court Appearance
- Legal Challenge...Complaint to the Electoral Commi...
- Legal Challenge...Complaint to ODPM
- The Legal Challenge...Audit Commission Complaint
- The Rigging of a Referendum
- The Electoral Commissioners
- As more worms leave the tin
- NESNO walking into punch after punch
- Conspiracy over designation grows
- Shambles now about to become absolute chaos
- Undecided? Yes or No? More champagne Sir?
- Discredited Electoral Commission and the Betrayal ...
- Another Cock-up by the now discredited Electoral C...
- Just to Refresh you
- Electoral Commission about to be discredited?
- Who knew NESNO were the No Campaign?
- Mallon Ponders Role In Assembly
- Constituencies Decided ...after a Yes vote
- What have they done? Its now Conservative vs Labou...
- Electoral Commission Decides
- Rural Communities uncertain over benefits of an As...
- Cross and Non Party Coalition
- More Outrageous claims by Prescott
- There is nothing like a dose of self-interest to s...
- Recent Letters
- Regional Assemblies entering their twilight years....
- "Me? A cynic? Is it not obvious?"
- "We are giving you a referendum you never asked fo...
- A Collection of Recent Letters
- Prescott's Propaganda Challenged
- Whoops they did it again! BBC use Labour Politicia...
- Prescott running scared
- Well Done John Taylor, Leader of Alnwick Council
- What was \the question?
- Bottled Fog Sellers Lose out to Free Bread
- Tidal Wave of opposition
- Simply ask the question..."Why does there need to ...
- Spotlight getting brighter on this outrageous frau...
- ▼ September (96)