Another sample of a complaint with a different line of questioning appears below:-
The Electoral Commission's Douglas Stewart has failed so far to answer the questions put to him last Thursday.
We have received no reasons as to why North East No Campaign was not suitable.
Ask yourself how a decision could be made to give £100k to the following:-
-NESNO has no speaking engagements planned.
-NESNO's website is an insult to anyone who wishes to become informed about an elected regional assembly or the referendum. If you want to check it out click here. Then check out ours click here . For contact details of the Electoral Commission should you wish to challenge or question their decision please click here.
Remember that if you are not prepared to speak out, do not complain when there is no-one left to speak for you.
Dear Mr Crawford
I note that the Commission's press release announcing the designation of North East Says No Ltd as the lead 'No' campaigner in the forthcoming referendum on the setting up of a regional assembly in the North East makes no mention of the alternative applicant North East No; and gives no explanation as to why North East Says No better met the Commission's criteria for designation.
I am minded to lodge a complaint about this but would not wish to do so without hearing both sides of the argument. I shall therefore be grateful if you will advise:
1 On what grounds the decision was taken?
2 Whether the Commission's decision was in line with the recommendation of its officials; and if not, on what grounds it overruled them?
3 Whether the submission of North East Says No was unambiguous in opposing the principle of setting up a regional assembly, or merely opposed to a council with the powers as now intended rather than to the principle of creating regional assemblies?
Whether members of the Commission with connections with (i) Rowntree Trust; and (ii) public sector jobs and board memberships, both of which might be considered 'parti pris' participated in the discussion and/or voted on the decision?
I note from the press release that, "If there is more than one applicant to be designated applicant for each outcome, The Electoral Commission is able to designate whichever of the applicants appears to us to represent the greatest extent those campaigning for the relevant outcome." In the nature of law governing the conduct of public bodies, and especially so in the case of the Electoral Commission, which occupies a position akin to Caesar's wife in this respect, the words 'appears to us' are conditioned by implicit requirements - 'on the evidence of the facts' and 'by exercise of objective disinterested judgement' . It is not clear to me how the well-established, highly organised North East No campaign led by of Mr Herron, with his track record for success in promoting understanding of public interest political questions could be rejected in favour of Nesno Ltd, which (as I understand matters) is linked to a political party with a weak or negative profile in the region and no track record for effective campaigning. An online search for NESNO this morning on my computer (for example) did not produce a link to that organisation - or even their Conservative party sponsors - but did provide a link to North East No. QED - I think.
I look forward to receiving a response, on the basis of which I shall decide whether a complain is justified, and if so whether it should be to the Commission or about the conduct of the Commission.
Tuesday, September 21, 2004
- ► 2011 (51)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (115)
- ► 2008 (179)
- ► 2007 (210)
- ► 2006 (392)
- ► 2005 (445)
- Latest Poll...59% of Chronicle Readers Say No
- Press Release
- 'Foot in Mouth' disease flares up again
- Parents hold power balance Sep 30 2004 By Graeme...
- Calls start coming in...from Conservatives
- Letter Writers Exposed...Undercover Elephants
- More rows in the Counties and Districts
- Letters exposing misrepresentation cover the regio...
- NECC Poll rattles Yes Campaign into desperatesvill...
- More evidence of a stitch up
- Today's Letters
- NESNO Say No
- Journal Letters
- Assembly proposals 'half-baked' Sep 24 2004 By E...
- Sunday Telegraph Letters Date: 26 September 2004 ...
- North East's Biggest City Says No
- More bad news for Yes
- Prescott now exposed as desperate
- The full press release from NECC
- Northern Echo Business bosses reject N-E assembly...
- Another nail in the Yes Campaign coffin
- National Coverage as stakes get higher
- Judicial Review Papers Lodged
- Liberal Party Chairman calls for a No vote
- Tony Blair and Gordon Brown unite to say 'No'
- Yes Campaign kicked again by business
- ...while the official campaign sat on its hands
- North East Small Business not impressed with Presc...
- No Campaign takes the Deputy Prime Minister to Hig...
- Newcastle Evening Chronicle
- Today's Letters
- What price information? What price democracy?
- Lib Dems Say Government "Fumbled" and "stuttered"
- Northern Echo 23rd September... Councils take Lega...
- Regional Organisers Letters
- Sunderland Echo News 23rd September
- NESNO gets a headline! Well done.
- Moe correspondence from the public
- Audit Commission adds nothing ;-)
- ODPM Ask for more time
- High noon for Raynsford
- We want answers from the Electoral Commission, not...
- North East Says No Campaign Responds to the Questi...
- 27 hours and counting...Yes Campaign still silent ...
- More Letters...tidal wave grows
- Emergency Meetings in the Electoral Commission
- Ante Raised...Court case looms
- What are the Tories saying No to, and are they say...
- Spotlight getting brighter...Electoral Commssion g...
- Public waking up to the stitch-up
- Conspiracy over Stitch-up Grows
- 24 Hours and Counting
- Complaints start going in to the Electoral Commiss...
- Stakes raised and ODPM on the back foot
- Electoral Commission catch 'Foot in Mouth'
- 'Foot in Mouth' Epidemic Spreads
- 'Foot in Mouth' outbreak in North East
- Liberals attack Electoral Commission decision
- Prescott Looking for a Court Appearance
- Legal Challenge...Complaint to the Electoral Commi...
- Legal Challenge...Complaint to ODPM
- The Legal Challenge...Audit Commission Complaint
- The Rigging of a Referendum
- The Electoral Commissioners
- As more worms leave the tin
- NESNO walking into punch after punch
- Conspiracy over designation grows
- Shambles now about to become absolute chaos
- Undecided? Yes or No? More champagne Sir?
- Discredited Electoral Commission and the Betrayal ...
- Another Cock-up by the now discredited Electoral C...
- Just to Refresh you
- Electoral Commission about to be discredited?
- Who knew NESNO were the No Campaign?
- Mallon Ponders Role In Assembly
- Constituencies Decided ...after a Yes vote
- What have they done? Its now Conservative vs Labou...
- Electoral Commission Decides
- Rural Communities uncertain over benefits of an As...
- Cross and Non Party Coalition
- More Outrageous claims by Prescott
- There is nothing like a dose of self-interest to s...
- Recent Letters
- Regional Assemblies entering their twilight years....
- "Me? A cynic? Is it not obvious?"
- "We are giving you a referendum you never asked fo...
- A Collection of Recent Letters
- Prescott's Propaganda Challenged
- Whoops they did it again! BBC use Labour Politicia...
- Prescott running scared
- Well Done John Taylor, Leader of Alnwick Council
- What was \the question?
- Bottled Fog Sellers Lose out to Free Bread
- Tidal Wave of opposition
- Simply ask the question..."Why does there need to ...
- Spotlight getting brighter on this outrageous frau...
- ▼ September (96)