Prescott warned on local powers
Sep 11 2004By Ross Smith,
Councillors have launched a fight to stop their powers being usurped by aNorth-East Assembly.
The Local Government Association has submitted evidence to a House of Commons committee saying responsibilities will be taken from councils if an assembly is established.And the LGA fears a clause in the Government's draft bill which allows extra powers to be conferred on assemblies without full Parliamentary debate will lead to more roles being transferred up.
Its concerns have been spelled out to the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister select committee.
In particular, the body opposes decisions on housing and fire services being taken regionally.The LGA has been led by the Conservatives since they became the dominant party in local government in June, but stresses its views represent a consensus of members.
LGA project officer Iain Twine said: "Elected regional assemblies must draw powers from local government, which is already operating them effectively."We want to make sure that if there are to be any more powers drawn up from local government, it will require primary legislation with a full debate."Because of their distance from members of the public, assembly members will nothave the same idea as councillors what local issues are."
Newcastle Council leader Peter Arnold agreed: "The worry is that ministers could determine to remove something from local authorities and give it to regional assemblies."The powers should come from central government and quangos. Local government should be left to get on with the job it's best at - delivering local services."
Mr Twine also cast doubt on the Government's claim that part of thecost of the assembly can be paid for out of money saved from local government reorganisation.
But Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott, on a visit to Corbridge,Northumberland, yesterday, said: "An assembly would not reproduce local government - it would take strategic decisions that fit in."Counties cannot deal with strategic decisions for the North-East. But Parliament will still have to approve any extra powers."
It emerged yesterday the North-East will be the only referendum on regional government before the next general election.
Mr Prescott is set to postpone again plans for votes in the North-West and Yorkshire and the Humber until at least next summer, when Tony Blair is expected to take the nation to the polls.
Westminster sources confirmed that Mr Prescott's office would make a statement to MPs on Monday outlining the next steps for referendums in the two postponed regions.It was also conceded that no vote was likely until after any general election, leaving the North-East to go it alone.
Sunday, September 12, 2004
- ► 2011 (51)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (115)
- ► 2008 (179)
- ► 2007 (210)
- ► 2006 (392)
- ► 2005 (445)
- Latest Poll...59% of Chronicle Readers Say No
- Press Release
- 'Foot in Mouth' disease flares up again
- Parents hold power balance Sep 30 2004 By Graeme...
- Calls start coming in...from Conservatives
- Letter Writers Exposed...Undercover Elephants
- More rows in the Counties and Districts
- Letters exposing misrepresentation cover the regio...
- NECC Poll rattles Yes Campaign into desperatesvill...
- More evidence of a stitch up
- Today's Letters
- NESNO Say No
- Journal Letters
- Assembly proposals 'half-baked' Sep 24 2004 By E...
- Sunday Telegraph Letters Date: 26 September 2004 ...
- North East's Biggest City Says No
- More bad news for Yes
- Prescott now exposed as desperate
- The full press release from NECC
- Northern Echo Business bosses reject N-E assembly...
- Another nail in the Yes Campaign coffin
- National Coverage as stakes get higher
- Judicial Review Papers Lodged
- Liberal Party Chairman calls for a No vote
- Tony Blair and Gordon Brown unite to say 'No'
- Yes Campaign kicked again by business
- ...while the official campaign sat on its hands
- North East Small Business not impressed with Presc...
- No Campaign takes the Deputy Prime Minister to Hig...
- Newcastle Evening Chronicle
- Today's Letters
- What price information? What price democracy?
- Lib Dems Say Government "Fumbled" and "stuttered"
- Northern Echo 23rd September... Councils take Lega...
- Regional Organisers Letters
- Sunderland Echo News 23rd September
- NESNO gets a headline! Well done.
- Moe correspondence from the public
- Audit Commission adds nothing ;-)
- ODPM Ask for more time
- High noon for Raynsford
- We want answers from the Electoral Commission, not...
- North East Says No Campaign Responds to the Questi...
- 27 hours and counting...Yes Campaign still silent ...
- More Letters...tidal wave grows
- Emergency Meetings in the Electoral Commission
- Ante Raised...Court case looms
- What are the Tories saying No to, and are they say...
- Spotlight getting brighter...Electoral Commssion g...
- Public waking up to the stitch-up
- Conspiracy over Stitch-up Grows
- 24 Hours and Counting
- Complaints start going in to the Electoral Commiss...
- Stakes raised and ODPM on the back foot
- Electoral Commission catch 'Foot in Mouth'
- 'Foot in Mouth' Epidemic Spreads
- 'Foot in Mouth' outbreak in North East
- Liberals attack Electoral Commission decision
- Prescott Looking for a Court Appearance
- Legal Challenge...Complaint to the Electoral Commi...
- Legal Challenge...Complaint to ODPM
- The Legal Challenge...Audit Commission Complaint
- The Rigging of a Referendum
- The Electoral Commissioners
- As more worms leave the tin
- NESNO walking into punch after punch
- Conspiracy over designation grows
- Shambles now about to become absolute chaos
- Undecided? Yes or No? More champagne Sir?
- Discredited Electoral Commission and the Betrayal ...
- Another Cock-up by the now discredited Electoral C...
- Just to Refresh you
- Electoral Commission about to be discredited?
- Who knew NESNO were the No Campaign?
- Mallon Ponders Role In Assembly
- Constituencies Decided ...after a Yes vote
- What have they done? Its now Conservative vs Labou...
- Electoral Commission Decides
- Rural Communities uncertain over benefits of an As...
- Cross and Non Party Coalition
- More Outrageous claims by Prescott
- There is nothing like a dose of self-interest to s...
- Recent Letters
- Regional Assemblies entering their twilight years....
- "Me? A cynic? Is it not obvious?"
- "We are giving you a referendum you never asked fo...
- A Collection of Recent Letters
- Prescott's Propaganda Challenged
- Whoops they did it again! BBC use Labour Politicia...
- Prescott running scared
- Well Done John Taylor, Leader of Alnwick Council
- What was \the question?
- Bottled Fog Sellers Lose out to Free Bread
- Tidal Wave of opposition
- Simply ask the question..."Why does there need to ...
- Spotlight getting brighter on this outrageous frau...
- ▼ September (96)