...but in light of his broken leg it may be a while before he can make it to Sunderland again.
Hear all Sides
18th March 2006
PIES THE LIMIT
READING Ray Mallon's column, How the mighty have fallen (Echo, Mar 10) I first assumed that he was referring to the unsuccessful Yes campaigners from the North East regional assembly referendum, many of whom have slunk away from public view.
Sir John Hall blamed me personally for "costing the North-East its best opportunity for decades". Sorry, Sir John, but I think that there were another 686,000 who were equally responsible.
However, Ray was talking about something perhaps more important than politics to many of the North-East public - football.
I invited Ray to Sunderland after he had branded the No campaigners "southern Tories" to meet the No campaigners who were certainly not Tories and definitely not southerners.
As the cameras clicked, the debate on politics lasted minutes, as I knew, and I think Ray did too, that an elected North East Assembly had about as much chance of happening as Sunderland have of avoiding relegation.
The conversation then turned to football and, being somewhat younger, my memories were of a different era but we surprisingly both found ourselves sharing the same passion for Sunderland Football Club.
However, at the time, Sunderland were not in the dire straits we are in now. Ray, along with the whole of Sunderland, hopes that we can salvage some pride from the season and achieve a victory in the Easter Monday game against Newcastle at the Stadium of Light.
At our meeting, Ray Mallon kindly offered me an invitation to a Middlesbrough match.
Ray, I wish to return the compliment. We need as much support as we can muster in our hour of need and I have a couple of spare tickets.
I hope you can join me - and I'll buy the pies.
- ► 2011 (51)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (115)
- ► 2008 (179)
- ► 2007 (210)
- Sunderland Councillor Dave Allen says "Herron is f...
- Department for Transport Consultation ... Data Rel...
- Herron on BBC Culture Show...7.30pm and 11.20pm
- Newcastle Council Leader Upset...
- Salisbury: Parking enforcement `will never be popu...
- Press Release: Prescott's Department says he got i...
- Arrogant Prescott ignores scathing regions report
- North East Assembly leader, Alex Watson breaches C...
- Labour Councillors vote with the Tories...oops!
- Third suspension at Sunderland Magistrates' court
- "There is no England," says Newcastle City Council...
- Another Invite to Robocop Mayor
- DVLA Data Release Consultation
- Decriminalised Parking Enforcement across the coun...
- Council Tax Pensioners Told by Court "Pay up or Le...
- Get your own house in order first
- Pride not Prejudice
- We're in the clear on parking, say council
- The law is the law
- Now Parking Ticket 'credits' in Sunderland
- Elected Mayor 'Robocop' Ray Mallon and those ticke...
- Association of London Government to give Parking T...
- Shambolic council parking fiasco
- 12,761 'unlawful' parking tickets issued
- Association of Local Government Desperately defend...
- Alan Parker v Transport for London
- CSA and Sandy Rham
- Anger as unpaid fines are scrubbed
- Refunds after new parking blunder
- Parking chiefs to pay out more refunds
- Jag driver refuses to tow the line over fine
- Sunderland and NCP knew about the MacArthur v Bury...
- Parking Ticket Mass Amnesty? ... Local authorities...
- Sunderland Council says yes but no but
- Motorist fined for turning in car park
- It's not just the streets that have no names...its...
- Fined with an unlawful ticket on a street with no ...
- Do police "No waiting" zones have any legal force?...
- Action now in Stoke...Early Day Motion proposed
- Credit where it is due ... a Parking Attendant tha...
- Bill of Rights test in the small claims court
- Barnet Council fights back ... but they lost and i...
- Irish road metrication - A warning for us
- New Welsh Ass £65m building launch ...a success?
- Corruption, cover-ups and the Committee of the Reg...
- Mile vs Kilometre ... Various Poll Results
- European Commission sidesteps question on Metric M...
- A Pandora's Box of Fixed Penalties
- Mile Poll Still running ... please vote
- Radio 1 Listeners ...'The Metric Generation' kick ...
- Blair squirms uncomfortably ... "You dropped me in...
- 'Miles Ahead, Kilometres Behind'
- BBC Watchdog now on the case of private parking sc...
- Some would call it propaganda...how about it Margo...
- From the Dirty White Van Man...
- ▼ March (55)
- ► 2005 (445)