Tuesday, March 14th, 2006
In response to Council Watcher (Letters, Feb 3), on February 18, 2002, Lord Justice Laws made an unequivocal statement in his High Court verdict denying the Metric Martyrs appeal against conviction that (in the "new legal era" in which we now live) Constitutional Acts, including the Bill of Rights, cannot be repealed by implication alone, but can be repealed only by explicit wording to that effect.
It is therefore inescapable that, unless and until Lord Justice Law's view is reversed, that is the law.
The 1991 Road Traffic Act which brought in Decriminalised Parking Enforcement did not explicitly repeal Article 11 of the Bill of Rights: "That all grants and promises of fines and forfeitures of particular persons before conviction are illegal and void".
Therefore, the 1991 Road Traffic Act is null and void as the law now stands.
In plain and simple terms - either the Metric Martyrs were guilty and the decriminalised parking fine system is illegal, or the Metric Martyrs were innocent and the parking fine system is legal.
One or the other - but not both!
Neil Herron and the Metric Martyrs Campaign's intention is to overturn the wrongful convictions of the Metric Martyrs, including the late Steven Thoburn.
If the convictions are not overturned then nationally, £1billion-worth of parking fines annually are under threat.
If the convictions are overturned and the Martyrs are declared innocent then the case which established the primacy of EU law falls.
Metric Martyrs Defence Fund
- ► 2011 (51)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (115)
- ► 2008 (179)
- ► 2007 (210)
- Sunderland Councillor Dave Allen says "Herron is f...
- Department for Transport Consultation ... Data Rel...
- Herron on BBC Culture Show...7.30pm and 11.20pm
- Newcastle Council Leader Upset...
- Salisbury: Parking enforcement `will never be popu...
- Press Release: Prescott's Department says he got i...
- Arrogant Prescott ignores scathing regions report
- North East Assembly leader, Alex Watson breaches C...
- Labour Councillors vote with the Tories...oops!
- Third suspension at Sunderland Magistrates' court
- "There is no England," says Newcastle City Council...
- Another Invite to Robocop Mayor
- DVLA Data Release Consultation
- Decriminalised Parking Enforcement across the coun...
- Council Tax Pensioners Told by Court "Pay up or Le...
- Get your own house in order first
- Pride not Prejudice
- We're in the clear on parking, say council
- The law is the law
- Now Parking Ticket 'credits' in Sunderland
- Elected Mayor 'Robocop' Ray Mallon and those ticke...
- Association of London Government to give Parking T...
- Shambolic council parking fiasco
- 12,761 'unlawful' parking tickets issued
- Association of Local Government Desperately defend...
- Alan Parker v Transport for London
- CSA and Sandy Rham
- Anger as unpaid fines are scrubbed
- Refunds after new parking blunder
- Parking chiefs to pay out more refunds
- Jag driver refuses to tow the line over fine
- Sunderland and NCP knew about the MacArthur v Bury...
- Parking Ticket Mass Amnesty? ... Local authorities...
- Sunderland Council says yes but no but
- Motorist fined for turning in car park
- It's not just the streets that have no names...its...
- Fined with an unlawful ticket on a street with no ...
- Do police "No waiting" zones have any legal force?...
- Action now in Stoke...Early Day Motion proposed
- Credit where it is due ... a Parking Attendant tha...
- Bill of Rights test in the small claims court
- Barnet Council fights back ... but they lost and i...
- Irish road metrication - A warning for us
- New Welsh Ass £65m building launch ...a success?
- Corruption, cover-ups and the Committee of the Reg...
- Mile vs Kilometre ... Various Poll Results
- European Commission sidesteps question on Metric M...
- A Pandora's Box of Fixed Penalties
- Mile Poll Still running ... please vote
- Radio 1 Listeners ...'The Metric Generation' kick ...
- Blair squirms uncomfortably ... "You dropped me in...
- 'Miles Ahead, Kilometres Behind'
- BBC Watchdog now on the case of private parking sc...
- Some would call it propaganda...how about it Margo...
- From the Dirty White Van Man...
- ▼ March (55)
- ► 2005 (445)