Thursday, November 04, 2004

Our democracy is precious...Electoral Commission we want our £41m back

Always one to leave things to the last minute (to check the efficiency of others) I went to cast my referendum vote at 5.45pm tonight at one of the 'Assistance and Delivery Points.' The one I went to was at Sunderland Civic Centre.

Postal Ballots...no problem.

I entered the foyer, Ballot Paper envelope in hand.

No-one at reception. No immediate signs of an ADP.

A council official walked past with four ballot papers in his hand.

"Just give it to me, mate," he said.

"Where's the Ballot Box?" I said.

"It's locked away," he replied.

"I don't believe you just said that. I find this very bizarre..." and at this point another official was walking past and appeared to recognise me and the situation that was developing. Secret ballot? Free and fair referendum with council officials walking around with Ballot Papers in their hands?

" I'll just get the Ballot Box. It's locked away behind reception." And with that he vaulted over and lifted the Box over for me to place my Ballot envelope in. It wouldn't fit, as the hole was too small! The envelope had to be folded and forced in. I expressed concern that it was locked away and that an official had been walking around with other Ballot envelopes. He did not attempt to put them in the Box, but merely stated that the people who had handed them to him were in a rush.

Have the Electoral Commission done any test runs?

Have the Electoral Commission been monitoring this and been on the ground observing how the system works and what the flaws are?

Have they witnessed what I witnessed?

Have they had calls as we had today from a woman who handed her Ballot envelope in at Blyth and was shocked to see the girl behind reception open it?

I hazard a guess that the answer to everyone of theses questions is no. Every answer should be yes and because it isn't the Electoral Commission is not worth £41 never mind £41m.

Mr. Younger....You have not got time to be a 'learning organisation.' The integrity of our democracy is far too important for you to be the inadequate, incompetent and toothless referee.
Hand in you resignation and let someone else do the job. There can be no-one else worse.

Otherwise wind up the organisation and give the people their money back!


No comments:

Blog Archive


only search Neil Herron Blog